Tuesday 10 April 2012

The Dawn & The Girl: Inspiration

Good morning to all my UK readers. For the next five days you will be able to purchase The Dawn free of charge! It is available from amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawn-Light-Dark-Blood-ebook/dp/B007SGUFRC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334044846&sr=8-4

Unfortunately if you are elsewhere in the world, Amazon will not issue it for free, but it is still available to purchase at the cheapest price possible and I really hope you'll all think it's worth it :-).

I thought today I would talk a little about what inspires me, as a lot of people often ask me that question. It's difficult to say sometimes, or at least difficult to explain. Inspiration can lie in so many different things.

The starting point for The Light, the Dark & the Blood came when I envisioned a boy running through the woods, looking for somewhere to hide, which occurred while I was walking my dog through a wooded area with a river. In fact, the particular path I sometimes take Holly along has given me a lot of inspiration when I walk it. It isn't anywhere fancy, but it is beautiful and despite the proximity of the road peaceful too. As my mind feverishly worked away at wondering who the boy might be and why he might be running, the idea of Robert began to form.  When I got home I wrote out the prologue and was really happy with it, but I didn't know what to do with it next.



I had begun posting stuff on Fan Fiction and I was writing a story about Vampires taking over the world and enslaving humanity. The story had almost written itself and was getting a lot of notice. And I liked the story, I really did, but when it was complete for FF I realised that for me it felt incomplete. The characters lacked the depth I wanted to give them. Taking the 300 page document away, I cut about half of it out and began rewriting, this time using the characters I envisioned in my mind rather than those I had used for the sake of it being a fan fiction. I still love the FF version of The Girl, as I know many others do, but The Light, the Blood and the Dark is a far better story in my opinion.

First of all, Robert is a very bitter, yet honourable character and this gave me the inspiration to build up a storyline based on his character; he was to take centre stage and the lead. I have given him a family, who though they might irritate him as Humans, he will protect at all costs for the sake of his sister's memory. I have given him a relationship with the enigmatic Vampire King, who has his own story to tell and will in Book Two, titled The Girl. And I have given him his destiny, which is tied up in the mysterious girl.

I really hope that you all enjoy The Dawn and that you will enjoy The Girl just as much when it is published, which should not be a long time off.

Have a great day x

No comments:

Post a Comment