Wednesday 8 August 2012

Vampires, Witches & Angels: Courting with Controversy



In the last few months since I published The Light, The Dark & The Blood, the feedback I have received from people who have actually read the books has been overwhelming. The series of books sprang from my love of all things religious and mythological. As I have said before I pulled together a few stories in order to write this series. This was not a simple process and took some thought in order to make what I had written link together and still flow as a story worth reading. I'm hoping people will see that this is a fable worth looking at.

I recently had a long conversation with a good friend of mine about the whole 50 Shades/Fan Fic issues & what she said made a lot of sense. I have started to read 50 Shades and while I fully accept it is potentially addictive reading, for me it wasn't. I think there are better developed characters and story lines on FF, but that is my personal opinion. I could also see that the switch from FF to original fiction hadn't taken an enormous effort; again my personal opinion. I don’t personally know the author and have no idea how long her fiction took her to write.

But none of that can take away the fact that the books are massively popular and have a whole new fan base of their own. Let's face it; we'd all love that to happen to us. I am happy to admit to being a very green eyed monster J

From a former Fan Fic writer's point of view though this has made it hard for me to break through. On one website in particular writers like me are dismissed as being 'untrustworthy' (whatever that is supposed to mean) and 'not real writers'. I'll be honest; it is extremely hurtful and infuriating to be described in such a way by people who generally haven't even read what I (and other authors who started on FF) have actually written. I fully accept not everyone will enjoy my books and that in terms of writing there is a lot I am happy to learn.

But my work is my own, the fruits of my own labour. I am inspired by other writers most definitely, having always been an avid reader. Twilight, Anne Rice, Bram Stoker, Joanne Harris, Charles Dickens, Emily Bronte, Terry Pratchett, CS Lewis, Roald Dahl, myths and legends, The Bible are just a few examples of books and authors that have inspired me. I think most books take their roots from another idea. For example Cupid & Psyche, Beauty & the Beast, Beastly, Hunchback of Notre Dame & even Twilight could all be seen to borrow from the basis of the same basic foundations. Phantom of the Opera is most definitely a Beauty & the Beast tale and is enormously popular on the stage, not to mention Terry Pratchett's Masquerade and any number of sequels, prequels, erotic versions that are available to buy. For truly original fiction you have to go back millennia and even then no doubt you will recognise the themes.

Of course the difference in being inspired and stealing ideas is a great void and one which can lead to legal issues etc for authors.  I am happy that my own work is what I say it is; the work of my imagination with characters who I created and who others are now enjoying, if the feedback and reviews I have had are anything to go by.

I really hope that the whole FF/50 Shades debate does not stop other writers from putting their material out there, because there is some enormous talent to be read. And if you have commented on books you haven't read, maybe you should think about reading first and commenting later. No one minds constructive criticism, but at some point elements of the reading community have descended into name calling and labelling. I think it’s very sad because most of us read and write for fun. It does not need to be this serious drama. So good luck to all the writers out there and if you're a reader who has either downloaded my books for free during a promotion or who has parted with money to buy them, I sincerely hope you enjoy my work. It is a pleasure for me to write and to know others like to read what I have done makes it an even greater joy and personal achievement.

And below are just a few pictures to show you how my mind works when I am writing. My husband bought the very beautiful exercise books for me and who knows, maybe they inspired me too :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment