Saturday 28 July 2012

Winters' Hope

Winters' Hope. That is the title of the new project I am working on and it sort of came out of nowhere. I am often inspired by a fleeting thought or memory and this is one of those occasions. School days are often very tough and I know that from both ends of the spectrum, from my own school years, which are a mixture of the happiest and worst memories of my life, and from being a teacher for a new generation of children. I feel very privileged to have the opportunity to work with children with significant difficulties, emotional, social and behavioural and help them come out the other side. It is very rewarding to be part of the instrument of change for children and their families.

As a writer, scenarios often work their way into my imagination and recently I visited a secondary school, which sparked my imagination. I have always wanted to work with some of the characters from Love Eternal again, in particular Emma and Guy, whose story was just beginning. Winters' Hope will give me the opportunity to do just that and hopefully allow more of an insight into the world of Eternals and Life Souls as I imagine it to be. I'm not going to say too much more at this point, as this is still a story very much in the developmental stages, but I will give you a taster of what is to come.

What would happen if a Life Soul and an Eternal were drawn into the world of Eternals too soon? If they met one another before the moment that fate would have given them? He would know that she belonged to him, but his possessiveness would be intimidating to one who did not know why. She would feel that there should be more to their relationship, but be so afraid of rejection from the one that she knew her life depended on that she would stay silent, avoiding the truth of their relationship at all costs. At Hartsmeade High, a boy and a girl have met. She is drawn to him, but at the same time wants to hide away from him. He is drawn to her; he wants to possess and own her, but at the same time, he is part of the football team; part of the popular crowd, while she is a studious outsider. The only way for him to be close to her while retaining his position in the social order of his Sixth Form years is to torment her and treat her with contempt that grates against them both. Ultimately though, will he realise that he needs her or will he drive her away forever?






Look out for Winters' Hope, a new Eternals novel by D. L. Scholefield









No comments:

Post a Comment