Saturday 9 June 2012

The End of The Light, The Dark & The Blood

Today I will be packing away the notebooks, all six of them and filing away the numerous word documents that have held the pieces that when I put them together made up The Light, The Dark & The Blood. Because I have completed The Vampire, the final book in the series and it is now with my wonderful proof reader.

About ten years ago, I started writing a story called The Vampire, about a priest who was fighting against a powerful Vampire who had taken over the world. In that story, which I never completed, the priest worked closely with a woman who had been hunting Vampires. I gave up on the story because there always seemed to be something missing and started another one, about a little girl who grew up in a garden of roses, protected from the world around her with no idea of how powerful she was. Again, I gave up on the story because it felt like it was going nowhere.

Then one day I had a flash of inspiration, a boy running through the woods, chased by an unknown aggressor and Robert Thorn was born. As his story started to take shape, I looked through my old files and found the priest and the girl, which gave me two more characters; Ethan and Beth Hart. I began to wonder how I could draw these stories together and then it occurred to me that they could be the descendants of Robert Thorn, who was an immortal in my imaginings and who became a Vampire who could be so much more...

I took elements of Robert's story and wove them into a fable that I posted on Fan Fiction which was reasonably popular and then the fragments I had started to pull together came to life. I am eternally grateful to the wonderful FF community for their support when The Girl was available on the site and it was with some reluctance that I withdrew it. Unfortunately not everyone could understand that the story on the site was only the fragments of a much more in depth original story that I had already started writing ten years previously.  I won't dwell too much on that though; there have been a far greater number of supportive people out there, like credaroza, Tonya, Nico & LaPamuckl, all of whom have been unfailing in their support which has been greatly appreciated.

Moving swiftly on, coming to the end of a project which I have worked on for so long brings a range of emotions. I swear I cried through the last ten chapters as I wrote them, because they were very emotional and because I knew it was coming to an end. As I say goodbye to Robert Thorn and his family it is with some satisfaction, but also with some sadness. I really hope everyone that reads the books enjoys reading them as much as I have enjoyed writing them.

Look out for The Vampire, the last of The Light, The Dark & The Blood, available soon from Amazon Kindle.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!I am so touched you mentioned me!

    When I stumbled across The Girl,I found it to be the most original, mythical story line that posted on FF in a very long time.

    I am thrilled for you to be able to bring your stories to us all as well as give us more of a robust story line in your published versions.

    I have all 3 marked on my Goodreads and will add The Vampire as soon as it releases!

    BTW - you need to add The Girl and The Dawn on your page too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks chick. You have been enormously supportive of my writing right from the start and I really appreciate it. As you know I was extremely shy of sharing my stories initially, but FF and your support gave me the confidence I needed, so thank you! I hope you enjoy the published versions as much as you enjoyed The Girl. Personally I think they are much better than the FF version, but then I would say that as the author ;-)! I have a special fondness for the Harts, especially Jack and hope everyone else will have too. Thanks again x

    ReplyDelete